Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills. As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation. The instructor to student ratio is a maximum of 1 to 6.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
Yachtmaster Theory Online
An alternative way to do this course is online through navathome.com. This will suit Sailors who live far from Tramore or need to complete this course at thier own convenience. The course will take around 50-60 hours to complete and you can take up to 6 months to complete it with the option to extend for a small fee. The course is delivered by Navathome, a RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online courses, who will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course. It is a fantastic course with interactive sessions and step by step aids to help you progress through the course.
Work as fast or as slow as you like and save your results as you go. The course is very interactive with an online tutorial on each topic and the course is broken down into 12 complete modules with questions at the end of each module.
Navathome will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course, they are qualified instructors and happy to help!
The course costs €395 and includes your plotter dividers and chart pack which are posted out to you.
To book your online Course please click here
Course Material Shipping Information
- All packs must be signed for so please ensure that someone will be available to accept the package.
- Postage costs are included for delivery to the Ireland and parts of Europe. Due to unreliable/inefficient delivery, packs being sent to Spain, Italy and Portugal must be dispatched by courier. Other worldwide destinations will require mandatory courier delivery. The courier fee will be €40.
- All packs being dispatched to Russia will be via DHL and must be delivered to a Business address.
- DHL will not deliver to a PO Box.