Next Course Starts Tuesday 21st September at 18:30. And runs each week on Tuesday nights 18:30 to 21:30
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. If you only do one sailing course in your life this would be the one to do. It is comprehensiv introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. The instructor to student ratio is a maximum of 1 to 6.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
In conjunction with the UK Hydrographic Office the RYA have developed a chart plotter specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shorebased course.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts