Next Course Starts on Thursday 5 November at 19:00
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. If you only do one sailing course in your life this would be the one to do. It is comprehensiv introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers. The instructor to student ratio is a maximum of 1 to 6.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
In conjunction with the UK Hydrographic Office the RYA have developed a chart plotter specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shorebased course.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Day Skipper Theory Online
An alternative way to do this course is online in conjunction with navathome. This will suit Sailors who live far from Tramore or need to complete this course at thier own convenience. It takes approximately 40-50 hours to complete the course and you can take up to 6 months to complete the course with the option to extend for a small fee. The course is delivered by Navathome, a RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online courses, who will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course. It is a fantastic course with interactive sessions and step by step aids to help you progress through the course.
Work as fast or as slow as you like and your results are saved as you go. The course is very interactive with an online tutorial on each topic and the course is broken down into 12 complete modules with questions at the end of each module.
Navathome will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course, they are qualified instructors and happy to help!
The course costs €395 and includes your plotter dividers and chart pack which are posted out to you.
Course Material Shipping Information
- All packs must be signed for so please ensure that someone will be available to accept the package.
- Postage costs are included for delivery to the Ireland and parts of Europe. Due to unreliable/inefficient delivery, packs being sent to Spain, Italy and Portugal must be dispatched by courier. Other worldwide destinations will require mandatory courier delivery. The courier fee will be €40.
- All packs being dispatched to Russia will be via DHL and must be delivered to a Business address.
- DHL will not deliver to a PO Box.
To book an online Day Skipper Theory Course please click here