Unravel the mysteries of astro navigation, using a sextant, ocean passage making, worldwide meteorology and electronic navigation aids.
This course is for those aspiring to blue water cruising and is ideal for holders of the Yachtmaster Offshore certificate who are preparing for their first ocean passage.
Topics covered include:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- Practical guide to use and care of sextant at sea
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Ocean passage planning
Prior to the course your navigation skills should be at the standard of the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore shorebased course.
If you are working towards your Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence, the theory assessment must be invigilated in order to be exempted from the completion of the written paper. This will mean coming to Dunmore East Sea School with your laptop in order to complete your exam under invigilation.
The course is taught online through navathome.com. This will suit Sailors who need to complete this course at thier own convenience. You can take up to 6 months to complete the course with the option to extend for a small fee. The course is delivered by Navathome, a RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online courses, who will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course. It is a fantastic course with interactive sessions and step by step aids to help you progress through the course.
Work as fast or as slow as you like. The course is very interactive with an online tutorial on each topic and the course is broken down into 12 complete modules with questions at the end of each module.
Advantages of online learning
- No classroom pressure
- Take your time to really learn and understand the topics
- Work on your course anywhere
- Work on your course at anytime.
- Assessments can be taken in your own home
- We are there for you until you pass
- 14 day opt out option if you find the course is not for you
Navathome will monitor your progress and will answer your questions and queries throughout the course, they are qualified instructors and happy to help!
The course costs €395 and includes your course pack which are posted out to you.
Course Material Shipping Information
- All packs must be signed for so please ensure that someone will be available to accept the package.
- Postage costs are included for delivery to the Ireland and parts of Europe. Due to unreliable/inefficient delivery, packs being sent to Spain, Italy and Portugal must be dispatched by courier. Other worldwide destinations will require mandatory courier delivery. The courier fee will be €40.
- All packs being dispatched to Russia will be via DHL and must be delivered to a Business address.
- DHL will not deliver to a PO Box.
If you are working towards your Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence, completion of this shorebased course exempts you from the written exam.
To book your online course please click here